Boy Died After Accidentally Suffocating in Changing Room, Say Mankato Police

(Mankato, MN) – The Mankato Department of Public Safety has released new information on what it calls the tragic death of a four-year-old boy.

Police say Ryu Pena was at the MVAC thrift store on Victory Drive Saturday afternoon when he went into a changing room by himself. While in the room, he apparently got his hoodie stuck on a coat hanger attached to the wall and suffocated.

Officers responded, but were unable to resuscitate the boy and he was taken to the MCHS Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police say at this point, it’s unclear how long the boy was alone in the changing room.

Officers are reviewing surveillance tape and other information, but say at this point, it’s appears to be accidental and no criminal charges are expected in connection with the incident.

An official ruling on a cause of death will come from the Ramsey County Medical Examiner.

Relatives of Ryu Pena, have set up a GoFundMe account to raise money so he can be brought to Texas for a funeral.

Those interested in donating can do so here.

Jessica Cuevas says Ryu was a sweet boy, with a gorgeous smile and a unique little personality.

LIKE Southern Minnesota News on Facebook.

Follow @SouthernMNnews on Twitter.

(Copyright © 2017 Southern Minnesota News – Alpha Media Mankato. All rights reserved)

RELATED CONTENT

Land of Memories Park Closes Due to High Water Elementary students participating in regional science and engineering fair at Minnesota State Mankato Flooding Closes Judson Bottom Road Woodbury felon facing weapons charges for alleged Mankato assualt Men face more than marijuana charges following 4-20 traffic stop Highway 93 reopens between Henderson and Highway 169
Comments