Mankato Reverend Badly Burned in Tiki Torch Explosion

(Mankato, MN) – A Mankato reverend is facing a long road to recovery after getting badly burned in a mishap involving tiki torches.

Last Saturday (April 15th), Janice “Hope” Gorman with the Hope Interfaith Center was at her daughter’s house preparing for a “Grammy Super-Sleepover” and began to light some tiki torches while her young grandkids played in the yard. One of the torches exploded as Gorman was lighting it, and she suffered 1st, 2nd and 3rd and degree burns on her hands, arms, and abdomen.

Hope is now receiving care at the Regions Hospital Burn Unit in St. Paul and is scheduled to have a skin graft for her arm next week. After the surgery, she’ll spend another week in the hospital and her extensive recovery will involve managing her pain, preventing infection, and physical therapy for her hand as the new skin begins to grow.

A GoFundMe account to help with the mounting medical bills has been set up and can be found here.

Hope was born and raised in Mankato and she and her husband, Dr. Paul Gorman, have five children and six grandchildren.

The mission of the Hope Interfaith Center is to inspire all in Oneness to create a better world by empowering people to recognize and honor the Divine in self and all.

Click here to LIKE Southern Minnesota News on Facebook.

Click here to FOLLOW @SouthernMNnews on Twitter.

(Copyright © 2017 Southern Minnesota News – Alpha Media Mankato. All rights reserved)



Pickup rear ends car, injuring Waldorf woman Rising water levels close Land of Memories High water forces Solstice Festival to relocate Man with weapons barricades himself in Redwood Falls house Thursday Judson Bottom Road to close Friday Redwood Falls man killed by falling tree in Wisconsin