Family pet perishes in North Mankato fire

A family pet perished in a fire at a North Mankato home Monday night.

The North Mankato Fire Department responded to the blaze at 2132 Red Tail Lane at 8:06 p.m.

Flames were in the kitchen when crews arrived, with heavy smoke throughout the residence.  Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly and begin ventilation, according to a news release.

The fire remained contained to the kitchen with smoke damage throughout the home.  The release says the family wasn’t home at the time of the fire and learned of the blaze when they returned.  No injuries were reported by residents or firefighters.

The release says the pet was lost due to heavy smoke conditions.

North Mankato Fire was on the scene for approximately three hours.  An investigation is underway by the state fire marshal.

More about: